Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Service: It's a bitch but someone's gotta do it

So, if you know me at all, one of my biggest turn offs is bad service. Sometimes, I say to myself, "Is it really gonna kill you to put a fake smile on your face and take my order?"
 
Now before you judge and think I'm some kind of princess, I just want to state this:

If I'm going out and paying, I SHOULD get good service. Period. End of discussion.

Now what is good service you say?

1. Acting or showing that you're friendly with a smile. Now, you don't need to kiss my ass and tell me I'm pretty or give me a song and dance or shit like that. Just greet me, say a few customary things, and move on. Is that so hard? I know it's late or you might be having a shitty day, but how about just a smile and honestly, deal with it.
2. Re-fill my water or tea or coke, WITHOUT ASKING! This is probably the simplest thing to do!
3. Check in on us once or twice. Not 5 times and not zero times.
4. Don't push on stuff over and over and over again. If I just politely say, "no thank you" (now this is not necessarily in restaurants but really in clothing stores). After 4th time,  I literally tell them loudly, "I'M NOT INTERESTED!"
5. Finally, just give me the check and allow me to check out. I hate waiting for the check, honestly after 10mins, I literally get up and go to the check out/cashier area and ask for my check.

If you're thinking about the fact I never worked in service you're wrong (I worked at Dunking Donuts in college). As a matter of fact, in a way, I still do because my job entails making my customers happy.

I value service greatly and great service will deserve a great tip. And lousy service, not so much. And I feel like I'm not asking you to put me on a pedestal, I'm just asking for a decent amount of respect while I'm dining out with my family or friends.

And finally, if you can't do you're job well, maybe that type of job isn't for you.

























No comments:

Post a Comment