Friday, June 3, 2011

Bi-Racial Relationship?-A Do!

Sometimes when Geoff and I in a restaurant or walking around Whole Foods people look at us like "Oh, they're a couple?" I know what you're thinking it's 2011 isn't everyone open and accepting? Uh, WRONG!

For example my dad still hasn't met Geoff. Yup, that's right didn't even come to our wedding because I married a white man. He wouldn't have approved even if I married another Asian like a Japanese guy or Chinese. He doesn't even approve if I married a Korean guy that was so white washed and couldn't speak Korean. Yup, that's how hard core my dad is. How is he like this? Mainly it's b/c when he came here in the 70s in Wisconsin, he saw the stereotypical Army white husband and non-English speaking Korean wife getting all sorts of abuse and hardships in a marriage and wind up breaking up. So he was DETERMINED for his daughters to marry our own kind.

He should have known back in H.S. when I was crushing on guys from Weezer and N Sync that I was more interested in white boys rather than Asian boys. But he ignored it and ignored it again when I went to university and I had a whole bunch of "guy friends" who happen to by white. He was basically in denial and probably prayed I was going through some kind of phase. Like parents of gay kids, praying it's a phase too.

When I told him I was marrying Geoff he was disappointed, angry, and even told me I betrayed him. He kept on saying it wouldn't work b/c we have different cultures, values, language (um I speak English), foods, our children will look weird (I thought mixed races produced gorgeous kids?), etc. Of course that is, he's White boy raised in Dallas and I'm a Korean-American raised in NY!

How DOES it work? Just like any relationship you need to be patient, communicative, and be open minded. Does Geoff love Korean food? No, but he'll cook Korean food and have tried it. Does he speak Korean? Of course not but he knows some words and phrases like "I'm cold" and "That bitch!". Don't I wish I can talk to him in Korean sometimes especially when I want to describe something or talk about someone behind their back? Yes, but that won't do.

So basically it does take some effort and I can say with confidence that our relationship is strong and happy and we will continue to be loving and happy. (Hate to say this Dad, but I told you so!)

So if you're a white guy interested in an Asian chick or a Hispanic guy interested in a white girl or an Asian girl interested in a black guy; do take the plunge and ask him/her out. If if doesn't work out, it doesn't work out and if it does than that's great. Don't let race bog you down. It is ALWAYS better to try then not to try at all and regret it.

1 comment: