Saturday, June 11, 2011

Getting Older...it's a bitch

This is the year I am 30 and I have to admit, I ain't thrilled about it but what can I do? Nothing. I always wished I was in college. I was younger, slimmer, no real worries, had an easy job without the hassle, and basically I was fearless.

Now, I move more cautiously in my life. What does that mean? Here's a few changes:

1. I try not to curse/lose my temper/"act out" in public. When you're young you just say whatever is on your mind without any repercussions. That means the next day everyone just shrugs their shoulder and it's forgotten. But when you're older the next HOUR you say, "Shit, did I really say that?" Apologies can be awkward and people don't tend to forgive.

2. You unknowingly have a "list" you want to compare to others. Of course no one says it out loud but you might catch yourself thinking: "How much does he make?", "Am I going to get a promotion this year?"Are we going to get a house this year?" "Have I traveled enough?" "Have I tried sky diving or para sailing?"

3. Things make you cranky when it didn't used to. Loud noise at bars, lots of people all the time everywhere on the weekends, sales associates throwing their pitch at you, waiting 10 or 15 minutes seem eternity (hey you made an appointment right!), screaming babies, and finally going to places and realizing that there are college aged kids there; rolling their eyes at you thinking you're old.

Of course getting older is also great such as: independence, no more school (unless you're in grad school intending to actually graduate!), you have some sort of financial security, and you are (hopefully) no longer in the mercy/guilt/living under your parent's roof!

No comments:

Post a Comment