Thursday, May 26, 2011

Pretty White Admin Girls

I've been unemployed for almost 3 months now and it's....going. People ask me all kinds of questions: what are you looking for? how much is your salary range? how far are you willing to travel? etc.

The truth is, I just want a job where I'm kept busy, make a decent salary, and PTO. Is that too much to ask for?

Apparently it is.

I really only have backgrounds in two fields: inside sales and office administrative assistant. Yeah so does another million other people too. So it's really just about applying and waiting for someone to call you back and get an interview.

At times like this (which means when I have so much time in my hands) I think about all sorts of "factors". Am I not getting hired b/c I'm Asian? Because I'm 30 pounds overweight? Because they see my resume and it says New York, b/c I'm old (hitting 30 this year baby), over qualified, etc.

I went to another recruitment office and she was telling me that most of the time, the hiring managers already have a certain "image" they want at the front desk/administrative area. They can't say what b/c they'll get into trouble, but we know what it is. Pretty, slim, white girl with a perky voice and personality. She even went insofar that education and lots of experience isn't even really considered. As long as they fell into their "image".

Now I'm not saying everyone is like that and every company is looking for that certain type but it did get me thinking...How many reception area/administrative desks do you see with Asian girls? I counted and came up with...none. I'm assuming that some places where the clientele is high-end/chic they want someone who also looks the part too. It's only natural. So I in a way, understand.

Maybe I can get hired as an assistant for the assistant administrator.  You know, the supporting role in a movie. You got the pretty white girl up front and me, the round Asian girl in the back supporting her.


Kinda like Ugly Betty but Asian.

No comments:

Post a Comment